Saturday, July 05, 2014

Searching for Sarah Rector

Searching for Sarah Rector: The Richest Black Girl in AmericaSearching for Sarah Rector: The Richest Black Girl in America by Tonya Bolden
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This is a book full of information, photos, sidebars, and notes. There is everything you wanted to know about the Oklahoma oil boom, the African-Americans who lived in Indian Territory during the early 1900's, and good people and bad people, of both races. I thought this would read more like the other informational books for middle school students that I love,  but unfortunately, this book left me with more questions than answers. The narrative does not flow like a story, in fact, it reads more like a dry history text. It seems as if there was just not enough actual data on Sarah Rector, and nothing in her own words, and so, it left me disappointed.


View all my reviews

No comments: