Friday, June 29, 2018

Patina (Track, #2)

Patina (Track, #2)Patina by Jason Reynolds
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really liked the first book in this series, Ghost. (My review is at www,maxsonbattlebooks.blogspot.com). That one was a definite 4 stars. This book is just not quite as good as that one. We have some of the same characters, especially the kids from the track team, but Patina and her little sister Maddie own the pages of this book. The sisters have an unusual story. They live with their Uncle Tony and his wife, who they affectionately refer to as Momly. But, their real mom is very much in the picture. She has diabetes and other serious illnesses, and so they don't live with her, but visit her every weekend and text every day. Patina is dealing with a new school, bratty girls, and trying to be the best track star ever. I felt the dialogue was not quite real, almost forced. I think it's a good pick for girls (and boys) who enjoy track, or just like to read about kids who are dealing with some stressful issues. This is an easy read for middle schoolers.


View all my reviews

No comments: