Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Beyond the Bright Sea

Beyond the Bright SeaBeyond the Bright Sea by Lauren Wolk
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was interested in the setting of this book, as it takes place in the Elizabeth Islands, which are close to Cape Cod, Massachusetts. This story takes place in the early 20th century, and I wish I could say that I loved this story, I didn't, but I liked it. This is the story of a young girl named Crow, who was found in a boat washed up on an island close to Cuttyhunk. Crow is happy living with Osh, the man who found her, but she is very curious as to who her parents were, and why they gave her up, putting her out to sea. Who would risk a baby's life like that? We discover the island of Penekese, where years ago people who had Hanson's disease, (leprosy) were sent to live and die. Miss Maggie and Osh are great adult characters, and there is a mystery to be solved. This book is well written, with lots of descriptions, and you really feel the salt and wind. It is not that easy a read, but is worth it if you have the stamina.


View all my reviews

No comments: