Thursday, May 11, 2017

Review: Ruby on the Outside

Ruby on the Outside Ruby on the Outside by Nora Raleigh Baskin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

If you judge a book by its cover, you would not choose this book to read. But, when I read the inside cover, I decided to try it, and I'm glad I did. This is the story of eleven- year-old Ruby, who is starting middle school in the fall. She has no real friends, and, she lives with Matoo, which actually stands for Ma, #2. Ruby's real mother is in prison, and has been since Ruby was five-years-old. Ruby has always kept kids her own age at a distance, so that she will never have to explain that Matoo is her aunt, and her real mom is locked away. Now, at the beginning of summer, she meets Margalit. They become good friends, but Ruby is very worried. When should she tell Margalit the truth? This is a very good story, that allows the reader to discover the heartbreak and anguish that kids go through because of the mistakes of their parents. Very real.

View all my reviews

No comments: