Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Rosie and Skate

Rosie and SkateRosie and Skate by Beth Ann Bauman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

As soon as I saw the cover, I wanted to like this book. It's Seaside, at the Jersey shore, which reminded me so much of my childhood. My family  spent 2 glorious weeks every summer in Seaside Park, and so it brought back some great memories. Rosie and Skate are sisters, and I love the opening lines, "My dad's a nice drunk. There is such a thing." Rosie, the younger sister, goes on to tell her side of the story, and in alternating chapters, Skate tells her side. There's a lot going on here, as Skate is dealing with a boyfriend who is going to school at Rutgers while she's left behind in high school; Rosie is trying to find herself, too. There's also a mom who died while the girls were very young, and lots of other growing-up issues. This is a quick read,but it never really tugged at my heart. I would recommend this for 8th grade and up, due to some of the more mature content.


View all my reviews

No comments: