Thursday, May 17, 2012

Condoleezza Rice: A Memoir Of My Extraordinary, Ordinary Family and Me

Condoleezza Rice: A Memoir Of My Extraordinary, Ordinary Family And MeCondoleezza Rice: A Memoir Of My Extraordinary, Ordinary Family And Me by Condoleezza Rice


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I thoroughly enjoyed this memoir. It was well-written, touching at times, and well-paced. Ms. Rice and I were born in the same year, and as I was reading this, I thought about how much she accomplished in her life, the people she worked with, and her place in history. I am amazed at her tenacity, ambition, and her intellect. I want every one of my students to read how this woman, who grew up in Jim Crow Birmingham, accomplished so much with her life. Nothing and no one held her back. Ms. Rice emphasizes how important her parents were in her life, and how her faith carried them all through difficult times.
This book is from my school library collection, and yet, it really might be too difficult for middle school students. I would hope some teachers might read it, though, and share some excerpts with their students.




View all my reviews

No comments: