Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Almost Astronauts

Almost Astronauts: 13 Women Who Dared to DreamAlmost Astronauts: 13 Women Who Dared to Dream by Tanya Lee Stone

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I always marvel when I read about a piece of history that I was totally unaware of as I was growing up. This book is a fantastic account of women who fought to be part of NASA's astronaut program in the early 1960's. I never realized how much of our male culture felt that women could never have "The Right Stuff". A great book with lots of terrific photos, and the text is just right for advanced middle school readers, and certainly high school students. This is an inspiring story for young women and girls, and boys will find reading about the endurance tests really interesting, too.



View all my reviews

No comments: